Sunday, March 16, 2008

My GMAT Verbal strategies..

  • Books and material

Hard copies
- Princeton review …good basics book
- Kaplan 800 … toughie
- OG 11 … good set of GMAT level questions.. will not call it bible… there is much more to GMAT than just OG
Soft copies
- Manhattan SC (must read for improving your SC hit rate)
- Manhattan CR,RC … nothing much to gain from… you can still read it as it is quite closely integrated with OG and can give you some good starting points. I read this after I had read other CR and RC strategies (from kaplan, princeton, 800score.com)
- OG 11 verbal review
- OG 10
Other material
- SC1000
- questions floating on scoretop.com , pagalguy.com , gmat_may2007@googlegroups, prachi_parekh_gmat@yahoogroups
- 800score.com material

  • 123

Always remember the simple principle for GMAT preparation… work on your basics, get a feel of the questions, improve your accuracy and then time yourself.
My 123 approach is
1. Basic
2. Accuracy
3. Speed
Do not try to move from 1 to 3 or directly 3… it is extremely important that you go step by step.

Princeton Review and Kaplan GMAT are good books for your basic preparation. Keep working until you are comfortable with all types of questions. Ample number of questions are available online to test your accuracy. Continue with questions till you reach an accuracy atleast greater than 85%. Start timing yourself and target your speed to
SC-1 to 1.5 min
CR-1 to 1.75 min
RC-1.5 to 2.0 min (including time taken to read the passage)

  • Practice Tests and actual exam

Do not panic! Keep your cool and keep talking to yourself… keep faith in the system and your capabilities.
GMATPrep 1 - try to give this exam around atleast 10/12 days before the actual test
GMATPrep 2 - 2/3 days before actual test

Other tests… you can give them at any time depending on your level of preparation

  • Bottom line

Work hard…Never lose hope …and believe in yourself… after all GMAT is just an exam… there is more to life than just this shitty exam… Give yourself sufficient time for other important things too

All the best! Feel free to ask any specific questions… I will be happy if I could help in any way

Disclaimer - I have just tried to put down my beliefs and strategies which worked for me. They may or may not work for you

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hiii

the info was nice..but i dunno anything much abt GMAT.

I completed my engineering 2nd yr.
I am in a dilemma as to what to pursue as a career. whether GRE or GMAT or GATE or CAT - which i s better plz..help me..

Does GMAT require any work experience? Is it tougher than CAT ?

MSP said...

hiii

the info was nice..but i dunno anything much abt GMAT.

I completed my engineering 2nd yr.
I am in a dilemma as to what to pursue as a career. whether GRE or GMAT or GATE or CAT - which i s better plz..help me..

Does GMAT require any work experience? Is it tougher than CAT ?

alok pandey said...

Hello,
After GMAT for getting admission in differnt colleges what is the desired profile in mathematics. In my schoolings I scored 65% with less marks only in maths. And a CGPA in college 7.5. Iam giving online exams for GAMT on tcyonline and my score is average. I can improve but worried with my past??

preeti said...

Nice Post. Those student facing problems in GMAT Verbal Section, then they should go to e-GMAT to learn the concept of GMAT Verbal Section.They are the best in their industry and have a good base of students. With their course, you can increase your verbal score by 8+ points and GMAT score by 4+ points. The best thing is that they offer 25% of their course FREE of charge.

Search